Last Updated on September 30, 2022 by GuitarsCamp
Each product we feature has been independently selected and reviewed by our editorial team. If you make a purchase using the links included, we may earn commission. Learn more
Whether you play acoustic guitar solely for your pleasure or you entertain huge crowds of an audience, keeping the tone of your acoustic guitar is very necessary. Best acoustic guitar pickup will allow you to enjoy the amplified ecstatic sound of your best acoustic guitar.
The amplifying sound of Acoustic guitar is quite an old idea. However, its popularity increased during the last few decades.
Several tools have been used to amplify the sound of the acoustic guitar, however, none can compete with pickup as the best amplifying tool.
Easier installations and better tone give it more advantages over all other sound amplifiers.
What is an Acoustic Guitar Pickup?
According to Wikipedia “pickup is a transducer device that captures mechanical vibrations and converts them into electrical vibes”.
To sum this complex phrase up, pickup is a device that is installed on your best acoustic guitar to amplify its sound when plug-in an amplifier and connect to cabinet speaker.
Magnetic Soundhole Pickup
Thus, you can say that acoustic guitar pickup is a device that is used to electrify acoustic sound waves. An acoustic guitar has its unique sound propagation. However, this sound is somehow subdued when it is played with other louder instruments. Hence, acoustic guitar pickup is installed to electrify the sound of the acoustic guitar whenever you want.
Note: The best quality pickup designed for the best acoustic guitar will give the best acoustic sound through an Amp.
Why choose the Best Acoustic Guitar Pickup for your Best Acoustic Guitar?
There are several reasons why you should choose the right acoustic guitar pickup for your best acoustic guitar. A few of the reasons include:
- You should choose the right acoustic guitar pickup because you want the best of the best and bigger sound quality for the performances.
- Because you will increase the opportunity to develop aesthetic sensitivity to music.
- Because no matter what kind of music you play (Fingerstyle, Strumming or Flatpicking), your musically tactical skill should mesmerize your audience.
- Because, whether your choice is to play solo, duo, band or recording.
- Because, acoustic guitar pickup comes in all budget sizes, therefore there are no restrictions or budget-barriers.
- You should install acoustic guitar pickup because you want to have a seamless and organic acoustic guitar sound.
How to Distinguish several types of Acoustic Guitar Pickups?
The wonderful and amazing world of an acoustic guitar pickup is flooded with details of pickup applications, pros, and cons of installing pickups on your acoustic guitar, methods, and challenges of installing acoustic guitar pickups.
However, what you should keep in mind is that every acoustic guitar has its style. Therefore, before installing pickup on your best acoustic guitar you should be able to distinguish between several types of an acoustic guitar pickup.
Acoustic guitar pickups come in different ranges. A simplest acoustic guitar pickup is a sound-hole pickup. However, if you want high and spicy sound, then there are more advanced and multi-technological options.
Moreover, acoustic guitar pickups are more practical and helping amplify sound on higher degrees as compared to an external microphone.
- How To Adjust The Action On Your Guitar
- 4 Tips And Tricks On Taking Great Care Of Your Guitar
- What is a Guitar Metronome?
- The Ultimate Guide to Help You Playing The Acoustic Guitar
Following are given some of the basic acoustic guitar pickups:
Note: With every Pickup type, it has passive pickup and active pickup
- Passive Pickup: It doesn’t require any electronics to alter the tone before sending it to an amplifier. So, Is it essential to have a pre-amp when using the passive pickup? It depends on what you’re plugging into because the preamps on the amp or mixer can boost the signal well enough -> You don’t need a preamp.
- Active Pickup: It has a pre-amp circuit built-in and requires an electrical source (battery) to boots and increase signal sounds before sending it to the amp. The price is more expensive than passive, but it produces a much richer and louder tone.
Magnetic Soundhole Pickups:
The Sound-hole pickup is a magnet with a coil of wire wrapped around it. They work the same way as electric guitar pickups: the strings create electronic signals when they vibrate in a magnetic field over the pickup.
- These are the most basic pickups.
- They could be your first choice, as most people prefer to install these pickups before trying more advanced and more complex pickups for the best acoustic guitar.
- They magnetize strings to amplify sound, thus you can say that they are similar to electric guitar pickups.
- Some of the companies that offer Best Magnetic Soundhole Pickups include Dean Markley, Lawrence, Seymour Duncan, and EMG.
Surface Mounted Piezo Pickup (Soundboard acoustic pickup):
Surface Mounted Piezo Pickup work by sensing vibrations of strings and wood via a crystal, converting them into electrical signals and to be reproduced by an amplifier.
- This type of acoustic guitar pickup is further divided into two types (another twist!) first Surface Mounted, second Bridge Mounted.
- Surface-mounted pickups are installed to the top of the guitar or inside up against the bridge plate.
- Placement of these pickups is highly crucial for feedback potential and optimum tone as it is going to sense the vibrations of the wood.
- They are most suitable for solo performances.
- Schaller, McIntyre, and Fishman offer Best Surface Mounted Piezo Acoustic Pickup.
Saddle Mounted Piezo Pickup (Undersaddle acoustic guitar pickup):
The technology for making Saddle Mounted Piezo Pickup like Surface Mounted Piezo Pickup is used Piezo technology. The difference between it is the placement of pickup: An under-saddle pickup sits under the saddle, and Surface Mounted Pickup sits inside the guitar, under the bridge or outside (at the top side of the guitar) near the bridge.
- Owing to the popularity of Saddle Mounted Acoustic Pickup, companies like Takamine, Ovation, Martin, Seagull and many others manufacture electrifying pickups for their acoustic guitars.
- It is not necessary to drill holes in the acoustic guitar when you are installing these pickups as this will reduce the worth and quality of your acoustic guitar.
- Instead of drilling holes for volume and tone controls just install pickup and endpin mounted preamp.
- Saddle Mounted Piezo acoustic guitar pickup is invisible to the naked eye and it also offers high feedback resistance.
Dual Pickup Systems:
Each of the pickup described above has its pros and cons. Thus the acoustic guitar lovers have invented something different to cater to this problem. Different companies have introduced various dual pickup systems i.e. Fishman Rare Earth Blend. Such dual systems are created by combining two or more basic pickup types. Thus, in this way you can get nearly perfect sound quality by blending two or more than two acoustic guitar pickups.
Why Acoustic Guitar Pickups are Different?
Acoustic guitar pickups have many different and unique sounds. There are as many sound choices as there are individuals out there. Hence, if a person gives you a preference or a suggestion there is a possibility that he is telling you his favorite.
There are hundred percent chances that your favorite might be way different from the acoustic guitar pickup suggested by your friend or by the shopkeeper.
Experience of the maker, quality of the best acoustic guitar pickup and personal choice of the individual is all that makes a difference.
You can summarize it up as “subtle difference, huge change”.
Pros and Cons of Installing Acoustic Guitar Pickup:
The following are given the pros and cons of installing acoustic guitar pickups.
- Soundboard acoustic pickup gives you the most natural sound similar to the sound of an acoustic guitar being played in a room and best for solo playing.
- Soundhole acoustic guitar pickup is easiest to install. Moreover, you don’t need to do any modifications to the structure of your acoustic guitar.
- Undersaddle acoustic guitar pickup offers you a complete package of natural sound and elegant & easy installation.
- Soundboard acoustic guitar pickup may produce feedback. It also does not blend well into a loud ensemble.
- Soundhole acoustic guitar pickup can create an electric sound to the output signal. This badly affects the sound quality (not natural sounds) of your acoustic guitar. Only work with steel strings.
- Undersaddle acoustic guitar pickup may produce a popping sound effect, especially if you “attack” the strings of your best acoustic guitar.
How to buy Best Acoustic Guitar Pickup?
Several factors can help you choose the best acoustic guitar pickups. Along with weighing the pros and cons of available acoustic guitar pickups, there are some other factors that you should consider.
Below, the list of some of the acoustic guitar pickups, maybe it’s the best for your acoustic guitar
What kinds of Acoustic Guitar Pickup do you want?
Everyone has a preference when it comes to playing acoustic guitar pickup. Some people like to have solo performances, others prefer band performances.
Then there are closed space events like in auditoriums or community halls. Some guitarist performers prefer playing in open space.
Different acoustic pickups are recommended for different tastes and needs. Remember, there are as many pickup options as there are people in this world.
Therefore, you should choose the one that perfectly fits your own choice.
Although most of the acoustic guitar pickups come in an affordable price range, however, it is recommended that you should check and tally prices before making a final decision.
Here Are Some Of The Best Acoustic Guitar Review To Read Next:
- Jasmine S-35 Acoustic Guitar Natural
- Yamaha FG830 Acoustic Guitar
- Yamaha FS800 Small Body
- Oscar Schmidt OG2SM Acoustic Guitar Review
How to Test an Acoustic Guitar Pickup before Buying it?
Now you have some authentic information about best acoustic guitar pickups. So let’s start the hunt for the best one for your acoustic guitar.
Remember that each pickup has its unique qualities. Moreover, no two pickups will sound the same. Some pickups bleed off the high end whereas others may play a little more with the bass.
Thus, in order to choose the most suitable one you should try several acoustic guitar pickups.
Expensive pickups do not mean the best pickup. What matters is how it sounds. Public opinion can also give you the right suggestion, so start reading some rational reviews.
So, to buy the best acoustic guitar pickup, you should check:
- It has a flat EQ response.
- It has sliders or knobs to allow a flat EQ response.
- The acoustic guitar pickup should dial-up decently.
- The sound is amplified according to your taste.
- The acoustic guitar pickup mixes well with the mic.
- It is easy to install and does not ruin the physical structure of your acoustic-electric guitar.